Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Silent Knight, evil Knight

First of all, apologies! I have neglected the blog for a couple months due to work - rest assured I have not been hobby idle and have a fair amount of content to share over the next couple weeks.

Lets start this with a big one. A few weeks ago I was fortunate enough to come across a bargain sale of two Forge World knights from a lovely chap in my neck of the woods for a mere 50 AUD each. Now, I've never had any particular interest in knights, but at this price I simply couldn't resist. For one hundred dollary doos I picked up a Cerastus Knight Atrapos and a Cerastus Knight Castigator. This week we will take a look at the former.

 photo EK1.jpg

The kits themselves were in solid condition, although Atrapos required a little bit of TLC to get him fully back on his feet, as he was missing a few parts. In the end, I decided to evil-i-fy him up to fill in the gaps, adding some emerging spikes on his armor along with a few patches of emergent mutated flesh to represent the slow seeping in of Chaos taint.

 photo EK2.jpg

Rather than go all polished and illustrious looking, as I had done previously on the epic titans, I decided to go full hot with weathering on both knights. Rust and grime, oil and scratches showing a heavily used and battle hardened killer mech.




 photo EK3.jpg

Figuring out a scheme for this guy was also a bit of a trick. After briefly considering a red/yellow pattern, I picked up a pot of GW's airbrush-ready Caliban green and was not disappointed. The color modulated very well and had good flow and consistency. I'm definitely tempted to pick up some more GW-air stuff in the future, as the colors are quite striking and build up well.

 photo EK4.jpg photo EK5.jpg
I never really realised how big these guys were, even when compared with a regular GW knight. I would estimate their height is close to a match for a Warhound.
 photo EK6.jpg

The Atrapos seemed especially apt to the evil aesthetic. With its very rounded and insectile hull, the beast already exudes a sinister vibe. This is of course not even considering the lore, with its use of black hole tech weaponry.
 photo EK7.jpg
Of course, with a canvas this big I wasn't going to hold back on any wanky techniques and employed the airbrush glow effect I had previously used on the Leviathan on both weapons :)

 photo EK8.jpg
Similarly, the greave plates were just begging for heraldry and battle honors.

 photo EK9.jpg

Overall - a very fun project and good stress relief over the past few weeks! A welcome addition to my renegade forces.

Stay tuned

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful work Tim and really nice photos! Just painted one of these myself, love the sinister look of the machine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning - as always! Really good choice of colours and it's useful to know that you rate GWs air paints. I was holding off on buying them, but will now to get some of the brighter colours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, fantastic work! I think it maybe tougher to paint larger models than smaller. Great weathering and adapting and over coming part issues. Well thought out, and I agree the air colors are quite nice. I like your other little color choices that make the main color pop.

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Killer stuff. I have to say I did not flag that colour for Caliban Green...seemed closer to the Sons of Horus colours (which as an avid 30k nerd, I love).

    Great work!

    ReplyDelete